Thursday, September 19, 2013

Women in Politics in Media and Pop Culture

Our conversation on the first day of class got me thinking about the portrayals of political women in pop culture. Immediately I thought of one of my favorite shows: Parks and Recreation and the character of Leslie Knope who represents an overeager, sometimes frivolous but overall positive woman in a political position. I decided to do some research about the portrayal of women in other TV shows and movies. A common theme that I came across was the use of the word "sexy." This one interesting article that I found (http://www.policymic.com/articles/57149/women-in-politics-just-can-t-catch-a-break-even-in-made-for-tv-movies) discusses an upcoming mini-series about Hilary Clinton. The author blames the media for attributing emphasis on the physical appearance of women during a campaign rather than the issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment